Defence Support Mentor
I am Casuarina Street Primary School’s Defence School Mentor (DSM)
Welcome to our school!
My name is Sam Yeoman (or as the students call me, Miss Sam). My role within the school is to make the transition for you and your child/children as smooth as possible and to assist you with any concerns you may have about their educational, emotional or social needs.
As a member of a Defence Force family, I am aware of the hardships and sacrifices that are placed upon Defence families and understand that moving schools can be quite daunting for children and their families.
This pamphlet briefly outlines the role of a DSM. If I can be of assistance in any way, please don’t hesitate to contact me on (08) 8973 3800 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forward to meeting you.
What does a Defence School Mentor (DSM) do?
A DSM is a liaison between parents, teachers, children and the school.
Who does the DSM help?
The DSM helps and supports all Defence children at the school should they seek or require assistance.
Why do we have DSM’s in Schools?
Sometimes children have difficulties making new friends as well as understanding and adjusting to the routines of a new school. The DSM will assist children and family become part of the school community.
The DSM will answer any questions about the school and link families to the right person to provide help and assistance.
A Defence School Mentor is not a teacher but is a member of the school team.
Some points to remember…
- When a family member is absent from home please contact me. I am here to assist your child and give them support throughout times of change.
- If your child is experiencing difficulties settling in, finding friends, friendship issues, or any difficulties while at CSPS, please contact me and I can assist.
- When posting occurs please advise our school ASAP so we can assist with the transition and prepare leaving packs.
- DSM’s can provide information on Defence Education Assistance (DEA) programs like tutoring and counselling.
- Wellbeing programs will be run throughout the year for children who experience a parent away for long exercises and/or deployments.
- There are no silly questions and no issues to small. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at anytime during your time here at CSPS.